Driving In Croatia


 To enter Croatia, a driver’s licence, an automobile registration card and vehicle insurance documents are required. An international driving licence is required for the use of rent-a-car services. The permit is issued by the parent motor-club. The driver of a motor vehicle registered abroad entering the territory of the Republic of Croatia must have a valid International Motor Third Party Liability Insurance document valid on the territory of the European Union, or some other evidence of the existence of such insurance. International insurance documents and evidences are considered to be either an official licence plate of a vehicle normally stationed on the territory of a country whose national insurance bureau is a signatory of the Multilateral agreement or a valid Green Card issued for a vehicle which originates from a country whose national insurance bureau is not a signatory of the Multilateral agreement and other documents and evidences whose validity is recognised by the Croatian insurance Bureau.

 Speed Limits:

  •  50 km/h - within settled areas 
  • 90 km/h - outside settled areas 
  • 110 km/h - on major roadways designed exclusively for motor vehicles, and on highways
  • 130 km/h - on motorways 
  • 80 km/h - for motor vehicles with a caravan trailer without brakes 
  • 80 km/h - for buses and buses with a light trailer; on motorways, buses are allowed to drive up to 100 km/h, except for those buses carrying children

Please reduce and adjust your speed in wet road conditions.


The use of mobile telephones while driving is forbidden!

The use of seat belts is obligatory. 

A reflective sleeveless jacket is an obligatory part of every vehicle’s emergency equipment. The driver is obliged to wear it when he or she is on the road, outside the car (changing a tyre, doing repair works on the car, filling up with petrol, stopping other cars in an attempt to seek help, etc.)

Roadside Help

Roadside Help (equivalent of the AA): 987 or 00385 1 987 when calling from an international cell phone

For more information, go to: 


Petrol stations

 In larger cities and on the motorways, petrol stations are open 24 hours a day. Petrol stations sell Eurosuper 95, Super 95, Super 98, Super plus 98, Euro Diesel and Diesel. Gas (LPG) is available in major cities and at petrol stations on motorways. For information on fuel prices and a list of centres selling LPG gas go to: www.ina.hrwww.omv.hrwww.tifon.hr, and www.hak.hr.